Wednesday, December 5, 2007

SMUrugby registers first ever overseas victory!

Today, SMUrugby made history of their own, registering their first ever overseas victory. The City Boys, swept aside Curtin University in clinical fashion, finishing the game 19-0.

SMU vs Curtin University

Curtin University had some outstanding players, who had recently competed with their respective clubs in last month's Singapore Cricket Club 7s (SCC 7s). However, this didn't deter the City Boys from recording their first win of the tournament.

The game started off with SMU receiving the kick-off and saw them make good use of the possession. Showing composure and confidence to pass the ball around the park and attack gabs at will. The side was soon rewarded when scrumhalf Alex Chew picked the ball from the ruck and attacked the blindside together with Captain Lionel Poh in support. The break resulted in centre Amos Siow opening the accounts for SMU with a try under the post. The try was converted by Amos and the scoreline 7-0.

Curtin appeared shell-shocked and started to pile on the pressure for the rest of the half. But SMU stood their ground and defended well against their Australian opponents.

In the second half, the City boys, were determined to shut the game down and put Curtin University away and came out from the break with a try through an assist from Captain Poh to Lionel Kong to score under the post - bringing Lionel Kong's personal tournament try-scoring tally to 4. The try was converted and the score was extended to 14-0. Possession of the ball was mainly SMU's and the Singapore University made multiple breaks, constantly putting Curtin on the back foot.

The game was finally sealed by the City boys, when Chong Wei Nurn powered through for a try from the base of the ruck to bring the score to 19-0, ensuring SMU's first ever overseas victory.

The boys were ecstatic after the game. When interview about the game, President of SMUrugby team, Amos Siow said, "This victory meant a lot to us and the boys have been working hard for this victory!"

However, the joys from recording the first victory of the tournament was short-lived when they faced UNDA in their second game of the day


UNDA boasted several state players and were ranked the top team going into this tournament. They were the recent runners-up in the Australia University Games and have been dominating the whole IRAUG tournament and were sitting on top of the table with maximum points.

The match against UNDA proved too much for the SMU side, smashing the short-lived high spirits of the boys and trouncing them 41-0. The boys had made a couple of breaks in the game, but UNDA were simply too good for them.

While the City boys left the field clearly disappointed, they take heart that they lost to a much better team and will be looking forward eagerly to their game against the host team, University of Western Australia (UWA).

While there has been no major injuries to any of the players. Another knock sustained to Lorenzo Escano's head has possibly put him out of action for the rest of the tournament, said Captain Poh, "We do not wish to aggravate his condition and we take any head injuries sustained to our players seriously."

The boys will have the whole day off tomorrow.

No comments: