Wednesday, March 28, 2012

IVP 15s 2012 Update


On the 12th of March SMU Rugby kickstarted its campaign against the Boon Lay Boys. The first half was an evenly matched contest, with SMU Rugby dominating. However close to half - time, NTU took the lead against the run of play as a result of several handling errors made by SMU. The half-time score was 7-0. Rejuvenated by the half time break, SMU started strongly and came close to scoring but was again thwarted by a penalty at the breakdown in the NTU 22. With NTU's kicker in good form, the penalty was kicked to touch in the SMU half. This culminated in several missed tackles and a try to NTU. Subsequently more missed tackles, breakdown penalties and mishandling blighted SMU's game, allowing NTU to increase the lead and subsequently winning 44-0.


After the highly depressing game against NTU, SMU stepped it up in this game against NUS. In the same fixture a year ago, NUS had triumphed 45-14. This year, SMU would not lie down and roll over. SMU began the game strongly, with the halftime score being 0-0. Several good breaks in the first half were ended by good defence by NUS and errors by SMU. After halftime, NUS took the lead with a penalty. However SMU rallied back strongly and a strong lineout led to a brilliant run by fly-half Derek Chan, culminating in him stepping his way past 3 players and scoring a try. While the conversion was missed, the team was visibly uplifted and continued playing strongly. A few minutes later a brilliant cut-out pass by Centre Wong Kah Wei to star winger Daniel Kong led to a magnificent try. Kong stepped past multiple NUS players and stayed strong to score in the corner. With the score at 10-3 with 10 minutes to go, SMU looked certain to continue its strong defensive form. However a moment of folly by in-form flanker Timothy Gay led to a yellow card. While questions may be asked as to the harshness of the punishment, this led to a lineout in the 5m area. SMU held resolute despite numerous phases but eventually, the NUS scrumhalf took a quick snipe from a ruck and scored a try. The score at 10-8 in the 76th minute and legs fast tiring, NUS were awarded a penalty from the kickoff for a late tackle. From the subsequent lineout, the NUS captain made a break through the centre but was brought down inside the 22m. A subsequent pass by NUS was ruled forward and a scrum was awarded. However SMU lost the ball in the scrum and possession turned over with a penalty being awarded in the 79th Minute in front of the post from a ruck infringement. NUS converted the penalty, leaving SMU hearts broken and left the City Boys looking at another year out of the finals.


The final match for the 2012 15s season was against SIM. Looking to end the season with a bang, the team played a hard and destructive game. SMU opened the scoring through Daniel Kong in a slick backline move which also involved a Sonny Bill-esque pass from hooker Anwaar. A small blip occured when SIM scored an opportunistic try through a quick tap 5m from the SMU tryline. SMU went on to score another 8 tries, featuring brilliant individual and team play. Daniel Kong went on to score 2 more tries, completing his hattrick with a brilliant run around 2 SIM players. Ian Gan scored another brilliant try while new player Shaun Ng also scored off a maul. Further tries to Timothy Gay, Leo Shyen and Captain Wang En Jian completed the rout. While it was not a season that the team desired, this game showed the potential that SMU Rugby possesses despite injuries to players like Derek Chan, Stuart Ho, Aldric Chew and Blandon Tan.

SMU Rugby thanks its supporters, especially Coach Melvin for being an inspirational coach. Special thanks to OSL Manager Roy Chua, SSU President Chang Yi and SSU Events Director Nicklaus Tang who came down for all the matches and helped with the welfare of the team. Your continued and unwavering support is much appreciated.

Summary of IVP 2012

No comments: