Friday, June 5, 2015

SMU RUGBY @ The SEA GAMES

City Boys in the Singapore Squad (Derek Chan, Daniel Marc Chow, Bryan Ng & Blandon Tan)


This weekend will be the first time in 8 years that Rugby 7s makes an appearance at the SEA Games. At its last bout in Korat in 2007, the Men's and Women's Team came home with a Bronze and Silver medal respectively.

Choa Chu Kang Stadium will host the finest of South East Asian rugby over the weekend that hopes to see Singapore better its previous performance in 2007.

This exclusive feature brought to you by SMUrugbyNews will showcase SMU students of past and present who are in the squad - including Samantha Teo, the Women's Team captain who rose through the rugby ranks during her time at SMU.



Get to know your City Boys & City Girl!



    Samantha Teo - Class of '14
 School of Business


Why did you choose SMU?
Location, location, location !!! It's so near to home (compared to the others) so traveling is a breeze... Haha..

Also I was offered to pursue a degree in business management, something I wanted and had an interest in..

What has motivated you to keep playing rugby for so long?
The love of the game. I enjoy watching the game as well as playing it.. The fast moving game of 7s, is so exciting to watch.. The game is changing rapidly, that there's always something new to learn..

I grew up playing sports, so I am competitive (by nature perhaps?). I cannot imagine myself leading a sedentary lifestyle.. Taking part in tournaments are always exciting.. Be it international or domestic.. The moment the whistle blows, I know I am all ready to take the field with my team..

Getting to play alongside my team mates!! I see them so much these couple of months.. We often say we see each other more than we see our parents.. HAHA

What's the craziest thing you've done on campus?
Attending starry night! Hahaha.. It's a must if you're from SMU.. Envious students from the other unis crash every year.. It must mean something right?

What are your plans after the SEA Games?
Relax and probably go on a holiday.. I need some time off from rugby.. Training started in Jan and it has been some intense couple of months.. We trained 6 days a week, twice a day.. Which includes gym and field training.. So some me-time and traveling will be great! I envision myself on a beach, having a coconut and just lazing and watch the waves hit the shoreline..




     Derek Chan - Class of '12
         School of Business

Why did you choose SMU?
 My sister went to smu and we often spoke about the seminar learning experience which struck a cord with me. I also wanted to have a city campus lifestyle which made commuting back and forth very convenient.

What has motivated you to keep playing rugby for so long?
 I had actually hung up my boots after graduation but was lured out of retirement by the one and only captain extraordinaire run dmc who convinced me to make a return for sea games on home soil.

 What's the craziest thing you've done on campus?
 Got slightly inebriated at one too many camps and starry nights. One time it involved a broken nose, a gsr door.. rest can't be disclosed.

What are your plans after the SEA Games?
 Back to concentrating on  work and also intend to keep fit by gymming and trying out something new perhaps muay thai or cross fit. Also over due a relaxing summer getaway in Europe.



    Daniel Marc Chow - Class of '10
         School of Economics

Why did you choose SMU?
Exciting prospect of campus life in the city and more opportunities (internships, exchange programs etc)

What has motivated you to keep playing rugby for so long?
Just being very passionate about the game and it's become very big part of my life and I will aim play for as long as I physically can

What's the craziest thing you've done on campus?
 Pub golf in school!


What are your plans after the SEA Games?
 Focus a bit more on work for the next few months and back to the Asian sevens series and Olympic qualifiers during the second half of the year


       Bryan Ng - Class of '12
      School of Social Sciences

Why did you choose SMU?
They chose me- they gave me a chance because of rugby and ever grateful for their choice.

What has motivated you to keep playing rugby for so long?
The love for the sport - the people in it and the spirit of the sport. And just glad that God gave me this talent in rugby to be able to represent.

What's the craziest thing you've done on campus?
Winning the SMU pageant and SMU Waikiki. lol what more can I say

What are your plans after the SEA Games?
Hope I am still good enough to continue to represent Singapore and also becoming a teacher that is able to teach and inspire.


       Blandon Tan - Class of '15
          School of Business


Why did you choose SMU?
I chose Smu because of the different way lessons are being taught. I was never comfortable speaking in front of a classroom filled with people and I heard with Smu's presentation style of teaching it will train me to be comfortable speaking in front of a crowd. Lastly, Smu is better amongst the other universities in preparing students for job search.

What has motivated you to keep playing rugby for so long?
I love the adrenaline of the game with the big hits, tackles and crazy skills.  More importantly, I enjoy training and playing with a bunch of teammates that I can count on on and off the field.

What's the craziest thing you've done on campus?
Haha probably getting dead drunk on starry nite.

What are your plans after the SEA Games?

I'll be starting work one week after sea games. Haha

No comments: